|2015 – present||Institut für Archäologie und Kulturanthropologie, Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
Postdoctoral Fellow within the Research Training Group ‘Archaeology of Pre-Modern Economies’ (Research Line: ‘Religious Institutions as Economic Units’)
|2011 – 2015||Department of Classics, Trinity College Dublin/ Laboratory of Geophysical – Satellite Remote Sensing and Archaeo-environment, Rethymnon-Crete, Foundation for Research and Technology, Hellas (F.O.R.T.H.), Institute for Mediterranean Studies (I.M.S.)
Irish Research Council-CARA, Government of Ireland/Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellow
|2011||Department of History and Archaeology, University of Cyprus
|2009 – 2010||Department of Classics, Trinity College Dublin
Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS) Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellow
|2008||Department of Antiquities, Republic of Cyprus
Archaeological Officer – short-term contract (Co-director of the Limassol-Palia Astynomia Archaeological Project)
|2007 – 2008||Department of History and Archaeology, University of Cyprus
Research Fellow within ‘Apollonios’ project (‘INTERREG IIIA Greece-Cyprus: Joint Educational and Research Programmes Greece-Cyprus in the History and Archaeology of Medicine, Palaeopathology and Palaeoradiation’)
|2003 – 2008||University of Dublin, Trinity College
Ph.D. in Classics (Classical Archeology)
|1999 – 2003||University of Cyprus
B.A. in History and Archaeology
- Ancient Cyprus
- Mediterranean archaeology
- Archaeological theory and methods
- Landscape archaeology
- The Archaeology of ritual and religion
- Ancient art, iconography and artefact studies (with emphasis on sculpture and terracotta figurines)
- Hellenistic portraiture and Hellenistic ruler image-making
- Papantoniou, G. 2012. Religion and Social Transformations in Cyprus. From the Cypriot Basileis to the Hellenistic Strategos. Mnemosyne Supplements 347. Leiden: Brill.
- Papantoniou, G., Michaelides, D. and M. Dikomitou-Eliadou. Eds. In progress. Hellenistic and Roman Terracottas. (to be submitted to Leiden: Brill for review).
- Papantoniou, G., and C.E. Morris. Eds. In progress. Spatial Analysis of Ritual and Cult, Studies in Mediterranean Archaeology. Uppsala: Åströms Förlag.
- Papantoniou, G. ed. 2008. POCA 2005. Postgraduate Cypriot Archaeology. Proceedings of the Fifth Annual Meeting of Young Researchers on Cypriot Archaeology, Department of Classics, Trinity College, Dublin, 21-22 October 2005. British Archaeological Reports, International Series 1803. Oxford: Archaeopress.
- Papantoniou. G. 2016. “Cypriot Ritual and Cult from the Bronze to the Iron Age: A Longue-durée Approach”. Journal of Greek Archaeology 1: 73-108.
- Papantoniou, G. 2013. “Cypriot Autonomous Polities at the Crossroads of Empire: The Imprint of a Transformed Islandscape in the Classical and Hellenistic periods”. Bulletin of the American School of Oriental Studies 307: 169-205.
- Papantoniou, G. 2013. “Cyprus from Basileis to Strategos: A Landscape Approach”. American Journal of Archaeology 117.1: 33-57.
- Papantoniou, G. 2012. “From Segmentation to Unification: Sacred Landscapes and Sculpture in the Construction of Hellenistic Island Identities”. Keryx 2: 91-105.
- Papantoniou, G. 2009. “’Revisiting’ Soloi-Cholades: Ptolemaic Power, Religion and Ideology”. Cahier du Centre d’Études Chypriotes 39: 271-87.
Chapters in Edited Books
- Papantoniou, G. In progress. “Rethinking Cypriot Hellenistic Portraits”. In Ancient Cyprus Today: Museum Collections and New Research Approaches to the Archaeology of Cyprus, Studies in Mediterranean Archaeology, Pocket Books, edited by G. Bourogiannis, and C. Mühlenbock. Uppsala: Åströms Förlag.
- Michaelides, D., and G. Papantoniou. forthcoming. “The Advent of Hellenistic Cyprus”. In Les Royaumes de Chypre à l’épreuve de l’histoire : Transitions et ruptures de la fin de l’âge du Bronze du début de l’époque hellénistique. Bulletin de Correspondance Hellénique-Supplement, edited by A. Cannavo, and L. Thély, Athens: The French School at Athens.
- Papantoniou, G. forthcoming. “Ritual, Cult and Iconography in Context: The Transplantation of Late Cypriot ‘Archetypes’ into the Iron Age”. In Materiality and Visibility of Rituals in the Ancient World, edited by I. Mylonopoulos. Berlin: DeGruyter.
- Morris, C.E., and G. Papantoniou, G. 2014. “Cypriot-born Aphrodite. The Social Biography of a Modern Cultural Icon“. In Il trono variopinto. Figure e forme della dea dell’amore, Hellenica. Testi e strumenta di letteratura greca antica, mediavale e umanistica 55, edited by L. Bombardieri, T. Braccini, and. S Romani, 183-202. Torino: Edizioni Universitarie dell’Orso.
- Michaelides, D., G. Papantoniou, and M. Dikomitou-Eliadou. 2014. “Moulding Expressions of Culture: The Terracotta Figurines from the House of Orpheus in Nea Paphos”. In The A.G. Leventis Foundation Research Projects, edited by A. Gagatsis, 75-91. Nicosia: The University of Cyprus.
- Papantoniou, G. 2013. “The ‘Cypriot Goddess’ at the Transition from the Bronze to the Iron Age: A ‘Cypro-Centric’ Approach”. In J.R.B. Stewart: An Archaeological Legacy. Studies in Mediterranean Archaeology 139, edited by A.B. Knapp, J.M. Webb, and A. McCarthy, 161-73. Uppsala: Åströms Förlag.
- Papantoniou, G., and C.E. Morris. 2013. “Island Cultures at the Opposite Ends of Europe: Cypriot Studies in Ireland”. In Ireland-Cyprus: Parallel Journeys. Common Aspirations, edited by G. Georgis, and G. Kazamias, 282-311. Nicosia: Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Papantoniou, G. 2012. “Cypriot Sanctuaries and Religion in the Early Iron Age: Views from Before and After”. In Cyprus and the Aegean in the Early Iron Age – The Legacy of Nicolas Coldstream, edited by M. Iacovou, 285-319. Nicosia: Bank of Cyprus Cultural Foundation.
- Papantoniou, G. 2011. “‘Hellenising’ the ‘Cypriot Goddess’: ‘Reading’ the Amathousian Terracotta Figurines”. In From Pella to Gandhara. Hybridisation and Identity in the Art and Architecture of the Hellenistic East. British Archaeological Reports, International 2221, edited by A. Kouremenos, S. Chandrasekaran, and R. Rossi, 35-48. Oxford: Archaeopress.
- Papantoniou, G. 2015. “From the Cypriot Basileis to the Hellenistic Strategos: The Archaeological Evidence”. In Kyprios Character: History, Archaeology and Numismatics of Ancient Cyprus, the website of the research project Aristeia II- SilCoinCy.
- Papantoniou, G. 2013. Review of Crossroads and Boundaries. The Archaeology of Past and Present in the Malloura Valley, Cyprus. Annual of the American Schools of Oriental Research 65, by M. Toumazou, P.N. Kardulias, and D.B. Counts (eds). Cahier du Centre d’Études Chypriotes 43: 553-57.
- Papantoniou, G. 2011. Review of La coroplastie chypriote archaïque. Identités culturelles et politiques à l’époque des royaumes, by S. Fourrier. Babesch: Annual Papers on Mediterranean Archaeology 86: 226-8.
- Papantoniou, G., N. Kyriakou, A. Sarris, and M. Iacovou. 2015. “Sacred Topography in Iron Age Cyprus: The Case of Vavla-Kapsalaes”. In Archaeological Research in the Digital Age Proceedings of the 1st Conference on Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology Greek Chapter (CAA-GR) Rethymno, Crete, 6-8 March 2014, edited by C. Papadopoulos, E. Paliou, A. Chrysanthi, E. Kotoula, and A. Sarris., 70-75. Rethymno: Institute for Mediterranean Studies.
- Papantoniou, G., F. Loizides, A. Lanitis, and D. Michaelides. 2012. “Digitization, Restoration and Visualization of Terracotta Figurines from the ‘House of Orpheus’, Nea Paphos”. In Progress in Cultural Heritage Preservation 4th International Conference, EuroMed 2012, Limassol, Cyprus, October 29 – November 3, 2012 Proceedings. Lecture Notes on Computer Sciences 7616, edited by M. Ioannides, D. Fritsch, J. Leissner, R. Davies, F. Remondino, and R. Caffo, 543–550. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag.
- Frangeskides, F., A. Lanitis, and G. Papantoniou. 2008. “A Contact-less Interactive Tool for Exploring Archaeological Data”. In VSMM 2008: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia. Short Papers. 20-25 October 2008, Limassol, Cyprus, edited by M. Ioannides, A. Addison, A. Georgopoulos, and L. Kalisperis, 305-10. Budapest: VSMM Society.
- Papantoniou, G. 2008. “Cypriot Sacred Landscapes from Basileis to Strategos: Methodological and Interpretative Approaches”. In POCA 2005. Postgraduate Cypriot Archaeology. Proceedings of the Fifth Annual Meeting of Young Researchers on Cypriot Archaeology, Department of Classics, Trinity College, Dublin, 21-22 October 2005. British Archaeological Reports, International Series 1803, edited by G. Papantoniou, 37-45. Oxford: Archaeopress.
- Papantoniou, G. 2008. “From Priest-Kings to High-Priest? Cypriot Sanctuaries, Ptolemaic Sculpture and Social Power”. In SOMA 2004: Proceedings of the IX Symposium on Mediterranean Archaeology, Chieti (Italy), 25-26 February 2005. British Archaeological Reports, International Series 1739, edited by O. Menozzi, M.L. Di Marzio, and D. Fossarato, 419-23. Oxford: Archaeopress.
- Sarris, A., G. Stamatis, N. Papadopoulos, E. Kokkinou, S. Topouzi, E. Kokkinaki, E. Moissi, M. Iacovou, V. Kassianidou, G. Papasavvas, G. Papantoniou, and M. Dikomitou. 2006. “Palaepaphos, Cyprus: The Contribution of Geographical Information Systems and Geophysical Prospection in the Study of the Archaeological Topography and Settlement Patterns”. In The World is in your Eyes. CAA 2005. Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology. Proceedings of the 33rd Conference, Tomar, March 2005, edited by A. Figueiredo and G. Velho, 199-204. Tomar: CAA Portugal.